Attorney John Owens is a member of the Florida Bar and the Maryland State Bar Association with degrees in zoology and education in addition to his juris doctorate in law. But that’s not why he’s the right lawyer for you. Mr. Owens is right for you because he’s been you—a business owner. Specifically, the owner of a veterinary practice, so he knows the intricacies of veterinary law and how to develop contracts, business processes, and manage client expectations that keep you out of the courtroom.
Mr. Owens has been practicing law since 2007, helping veterinarians focus more on their medical practice and less on their legal and administrative tasks. He is also married to a longtime veterinarian, so he understands the daily—and even hourly—responsibilities and accountabilities within the profession.
Mr. Owens has been a highly involved member of the legal community in Maryland and Florida over the last several years.
- Maryland State Bar Association | Member since 2014
- The Florida Bar | Member since 2007
- VetPartners | Member since 2008, Membership Committee Co-Chair 2012–2013, Ethics Committee Chair 2014–2016
- American Veterinary Medical Law Association | President 2013, Vice President 2012. District II Director 2010–2012
With his background in education and his years of experience in business, John Owens is perfectly positioned to bring his legal expertise to the public speaking circuit. John has spoken at a variety of business events and veterinary conferences across the country, focusing on topics such as:
- Employee manual and policy development
- Record keeping
- Sexual harassment prevention
- Avoiding malpractice suits
- How to apologize for medical mistakes
Some of Mr. Owens’ lecture and speaking clients include Veterinary Association Management, the Western Veterinary Conference, and the Caloosa Veterinary Medical Society.